All Things Strings

I'm looking at getting a metronome for my birthday, I was wondering if you all had any recommendations that are not to pricey?

Thanks!
Esther

Views: 1809

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have an electronic keyboard and I just use the metronome clicker on that. I have a very loud clock in my room which is fine for tempi which are multiples of 60.
I have a couple of metronomes, both by Korg:

The MA-30: small and easy to carry in your violin case. I find it difficult to use without sound (on mute) since it has some type of digital pendulum that is not easy to view unless you put the metronome on your music stand. In addition, the buttons are small and you find yourself clicking a bit everywhere to get what you want. Nevertheless, it's still a great carry-on tool.

The KDM-2: large metronome with a powerful sound (loud beat), a visible light on top and multiple options. I like it since it's easy to use and you don't need to press a zillion button to change the tempo. I also find it helpful when playing with other musicians (e.g. a quartet), where everyone is able to hear the beat to adjust to the tempo. Smaller metronomes have a tiny speaker that can barely be heard by everyone.
I have a metronome,but it is useless now coz I don' believe it hepls my practice.
As soon as you progress more, you will leave it
Right now I'm using an online freebie, but I would like to buy a more traditional metronome. When I was young and starting guitar I had a beautiful wooden model. Now that I see the prices, Im sure today that one would sell for over $100.
Hey Randy -

Which button does it let you tap to figure out the tempo?

--Ann Marie
Body Beat!!!! The single most amazing metronome!
I have one of those monotnous ones that just goes click click that drives you batty enough to want to throw it out the window!
Then I have a korg where you can adust the tap and beat- now that one is more like it! Then I have one that is on the H2 zoom flash recorder - I haven't tried that one. One that I would really want to try is body beat but its expensive-100 bucks!
I have the blue korg ma-30.

eddymontreal said:
I have a couple of metronomes, both by Korg:

The MA-30: small and easy to carry in your violin case. I find it difficult to use without sound (on mute) since it has some type of digital pendulum that is not easy to view unless you put the metronome on your music stand. In addition, the buttons are small and you find yourself clicking a bit everywhere to get what you want. Nevertheless, it's still a great carry-on tool.

The KDM-2: large metronome with a powerful sound (loud beat), a visible light on top and multiple options. I like it since it's easy to use and you don't need to press a zillion button to change the tempo. I also find it helpful when playing with other musicians (e.g. a quartet), where everyone is able to hear the beat to adjust to the tempo. Smaller metronomes have a tiny speaker that can barely be heard by everyone.
I have a Seiko digital. Problem is, you have to scroll thru all tempi when you change tempo markings in a piece, which takes too long.
Suggestion: if you get a metronome with a dial, you can switch tempi much faster. That's what I would get next time.
Good luck!
By now, you've probably bought one! However, if not I can help save you your money simply because there are ample metronomes in all variations, customizable, large, small, etc. on the Internet (for example: http://www.metronomeonline.com/). I have used several of them via my laptop as well as my desktop in my office and find them quite good; save your money so as to afford that next "big upgrade" in purchasing your next dream instrument!
Well I'm a shareware programmer and have made a new software metronome - for Windows only sadly - called Bounce Metronome Pro which shows the rhythm using bouncing balls, or conductor's baton etc. Means you can also use it purely visually.

I wonder if any of you have heard of it? It was reviewed in Sound On Sound magazine January of this year, and though it's only been around for a little over a year, already has many enthusiastic users.

Lots of information about it and video animations etc here:

What is Special about Bounce Metronome Pro?

Some of my software is free or partly free partly commercial. But this is purely commercial - though with a 30 day free test drive with all the features completely unlocked.

I'm very interested to hear what any of you think about it or any suggestions for improvement.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AllThingsStrings.com, including playing tips, career advice, information for educators, news and event alerts, and artist profiles.

© 2014   Created by Strings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service