All Things Strings

My Capri Maestro violin has a one piece back.  Very beautiful flamed maple.  After reading an article on Strings magazine's site about one & two piece backs and how they're made, I would like to know how I can tell weather the back on mine is quartered from a wedge or slab cut from a log.  Is there a way of determining that by looking at it?  Here's a pic of the back:

Tags: backs, one, piece, violin, wood

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I had to guess, I would say slab cut since the grain doesn't run perfectly straight with the instrument.  But maybe I'm wrong.

My much cheaper knock around Vinci fiddle has a two piece back though they don't look book matched at all.  I'm finding that whether the back is one or two piece seems to not be that important.  One isn't necessarily "better" than the other since the back is more of a reflective plate than a vibrational plate like the belly.  Nor does one seem to be pricer than the other.

Hi Kevin,

A slab cut back is plain without figure whereas quarter sawn will have figure as with your violin.

Brian

http://www.westcountryviolins.com

Beautiful old violins and bows at trade prices!

Thanks Brian. I actually learned not long after posting this that it is quarter sawn.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AllThingsStrings.com, including playing tips, career advice, information for educators, news and event alerts, and artist profiles.

© 2014   Created by Strings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service