All Things Strings

Share successful techniques, discuss upcoming lutherie events, trade-related issues, or experiences at lutherie workshops. Chat with your peers about challenges or rewards of your profession.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good peeps to have around are cooks and lutherie's. If some thing breaks he can make a newer one. Like a ships carpenter. I love to make my own parts! Makes my music more me!
In this mixed up economy, it becomes more important to separate fact from fiction when it comes to the "value" of string instruments. Many people are hung up on the mythology that older instruments sound better.

Instead, I think the science world can show concrete evidence to dispute this.
The scientist Colin Gough wrote this article showing the many scientific measurements that can be made to prove that antique instruments are just simply weaker sounding. Not unlike driving an antique Lamborghini versus today's modern car--the price difference could be over $500,000!

Read this article by Colin Gough: Science and the Stradivarius

I invite you to read articles on our web site such as String Instrument for the Soloist

When purchasing an instrument made by a Master Violinmaker, the quality of sound between "Old or New" becomes indistinguishable. You get a quality sound from both.

Collecting fine antique violins is a different story. Whether collecting fine art or antique instruments, it's a different market. Purchasing an antique for its maker's name and authenticity is an investment in a different market.
I was reading about setting the tail piece in one of my manuals and this one suggested useing a lenth of gut to hold the tail piece to the end pin.
Yea or nay?
No, the nylon ones are stronger and won't stretch. You can also adjust them with screws. I've never seen anything else used.

Anna.

Michael said:
I was reading about setting the tail piece in one of my manuals and this one suggested useing a lenth of gut to hold the tail piece to the end pin.
Yea or nay?
I am also a fan of the Violin Society forum here: http://violinsociety.ning.com

Who's going to Mondomusica New-York? We'll be booth #29-33 and #34-38. Hope to see you there guys! http://www.ubifrance.com/us/Posts-6700-french-pavilion-at-mondomusi...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AllThingsStrings.com, including playing tips, career advice, information for educators, news and event alerts, and artist profiles.

© 2014   Created by Strings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service