All Things Strings

I'm an older adult who is learning to play the violin. Since my husband retired I cannot afford lessons so I'm trying to teach myself. I have had a couple of years of lessons. My husband plays the guitar very well and I would like to learn to play a few songs with him but I'm having trouble finding sheet music that includes both guitar and violin. He plays country and classic rock songs. If I had a few songs we could practice together I think it would help me to improve and also have fun practicing. Does anyone have any suggestions where to find sheet music or a book for both instruments?

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just on the topic of classic rock, Deborah, I found a transcription online for the violin solo in "Dust in the Wind". Also, I've done a few transcriptions off of Youtube for stuff like "Black Water", another sweet guitar/violin duet. Check out Mel Bay Publications, as well; for decades they've been publishing collections of guitar/violin material covering most popular genres. They're especially strong on "Americana" such as old-time and bluegrass.  Best of luck to you !

Thank you Dave,

I'll check into the Mel Bay Publications and look some more online. I really think it would be fun for us to learn a song together, but he plays a lot on open mic nights at a few of the pubs near us. It will force me to be more dedicated to my practice if I know I will have to play for a crowd, even though they will probably be feeling pretty good. I have stage fright something awful! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AllThingsStrings.com, including playing tips, career advice, information for educators, news and event alerts, and artist profiles.

© 2014   Created by Strings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service