All Things Strings

Hi,

Me again, still deciding on which one to buy, I haven't had any response to the Cremona SV-1500 violin question so I have moved towards the two violins mentioned about.  As I am a beginner I really need some advice for the future.  My tone and pitch is good but I would like something more advanced than the Stentor Conservatoire.  I prefer the deeper sounding violins.

Some people are saying that the Maestro is no better than the Gama?  Anyone have experience with these?

In Australia the Gama goes for $1500 and the Maestro for around $3000 but I can see that ordering from the USA would dramatically reduce the cost.  I have practised on both at a local store but as I'm just learning I can't feel any dramatic difference.

In order to progress, would there be much of a difference between the two?  Or are they very similar in quality as some people are suggesting?

Thanks, I plan to order in the next few days so any help would be appreciated.

Darren

Views: 1252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Darren,

here's a rather biased opinion - as you can see, I make violins!

Don't go overboard price-wise when buying a 'hand made' factory instrument - as long as you feel that it will enable you to make some progress be content with that. In due course you will have a clearer picture of what you need, and will be able to trade up.

All the best!

Caroline

Thanks Caroline, that sounds like great advice.

My problem is I am not sure how long until I am 'allowed' to trade up again so I am trying to make the most of my money right now.......but I can read between the lines and maybe I should be content with what I can realistically afford.

I have done a lot of reading which suggests that tone and pitch are up to me.........go figure........

Darren

oops, didn't mean to sound like the grandmother I am!

re. ordering from the US - don't know about Australia, but in the UK we get hit with a huge chunk of import duty. With something so personal as choosing a violin it may be a bit risky to order unseen...

There I go again!!

C

No, you didn't sound like that at all.  I just came to a self realisation.

I agree, it is risky.  But the person I am buying from is happy to value it low enough it won't receive any import duty.  We have a $1000 buffer before they consider the import worth taxing.

Good luck in your purchase, I'm sure you will make great progress in your playing! C

Have you had a chance to try out either a Snow or a Potter? Both are highly rated amongst our reviewers. We also tried a $3,000 (or so) Cheng that was well received by our tester.

I can't find those in Australia for sale Greg.  I would have tried the Snow for sure as I've heard and read great things about it but can only test the Gliga locally where I live.

Decided to buy the Gliga from Alexi and I am hoping the deeper tones will appeal to me.  I tried one Gliga Maestro at a local store and liked the feel of it.  We seem to have limited options around here, maybe I should open my own violin shop and sell some of those brands.

;-)

What city are you in?

I don't want to steer you off your course, but I have tracked down a shop in Australia that carries Jay Haide Violins, which are well worth looking into:

They are in Innaloo, near Perth.

http://www.wamusic.com.au/

Thanks Greg, I live near Melbourne, Victoria.

Perth is a long way (like LA to Miami) but I will check out their range.  Thanks for the tip, I couldn't find one anywhere here on the East Coast.

Hi, thanks again for all your help.

I did however end up going with the Gliga Maestro which I paid less than $1400 Australian Dollars for..........they cost nearly $3000 in Australia but US sellers seem to sell them much cheaper.  I am not sure why there is such a difference when the Australian Dollar is so strong at the moment.  Very happy with the Maestro compared to the Stentor Conservatoire I was using.  The Maestro feels and sounds very smooth, I think I made the right choice.

Jay Heide look great but they were a little above my budget, maybe my next violin!

Darren

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AllThingsStrings.com, including playing tips, career advice, information for educators, news and event alerts, and artist profiles.

© 2014   Created by Strings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service